Blas Aguilar Adobe Repairs and Preservation
Location:San Juan Capistrano, CA
IS Architecture prepared plans to repair and restore the roof in 2008. The project involved restoring the roof to its appearance circa 1840, which included Mission clay tiles on the original portion of the adobe and wood shingles on the later era addition to the rear. Later improvements in 2011 include reconstruction of a historic horno and a wooden and stone well.
The Blas Aguilar Adobe is located at 31806 El Camino Real in San Juan Capistrano, Orange County, and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places (Casa de Esperanza, #90001484). The Adobe is located one block south of Mission San Juan Capistrano, adjacent to the Historic Town Center Archaeological Park. The building was constructed circa 1794 and was one of the adobes built by Mission neophytes, and specifically was one of several adobes facing the Plaza directly south of the Mission. Don Blas Aguilar, the last alcalde, or regional governor, of Capistrano under Mexican rule and the first Justice of the Peace under American rule, purchased the Adobe in the 1840s and later lived in it with his family. The Adobe passed down through generations of Aguilars until 1940, when it was purchased by the Diocese of Orange. The City of San Juan Capistrano Community Redevelopment Agency (RDA) acquired the Adobe in 1987.